This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

This has been an enjoyable and restful holiday. We will be having lots of company in December so it was good to be a little lazy for a few days. For Thanksgiving Dinner and for several meals afterward we had: Ham glazed with honey, ground cloves and cinnamon, and pineapple Cheesy potatoes with bacon lima beans cream corn deviled eggs punkin pie
I had snagged this recipe on Pinterest for the corn. Ingredients: 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed 1 cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons butter 1 cup whole milk 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Directions: 1. In a skillet over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter. Whisk together the milk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through. Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot. I changed it just a bit. I like to use corn starch for thickening. With flour, you really should make a roux so you don't have a doughy taste and corn starch dissolves easier and doesn't alter the taste. And I added green onions.
It was even better re-heated the next day. The potatoes were a twist on a recipe my Hubbie had in his collection. It uses Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup. It also calls for ham but I didn't want ham in it since I was baking one, so I crumbled cooked bacon in it. Here's what I did: Boil 7-8 potatoes whole to almost done. I used red potatoes, so when they were done I ran cold water on them and the skins slid off. You could leave them on if you like. Slice the potatoes thin and layer half in a baking dish. I cooked a sliced onion in butter until almost done and spread it over the first layer of potatoes along with some shredded cheddar, and the bacon or ham or no meat if you don't want any. I warmed 2 cans of the soup and added some milk to get it where it will pour. Add some garlic powder and black pepper if you'd like. Pour half over the potatoes. Slice the rest of the potatoes into the dish and then pout the rest of the cheese soup over the top. I added green onions on top. Bake at 350 until bubbly and potatoes are completely done about 30-45 minutes. Let rest 10-15 minutes. This is one you could double for a pot luck and everyone would like it. You can play around with the add ins and cheeses for something a bit different every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment